Are you considering your options with regards to entry into the automotive industry? Are you thinking of a career change and the automotive industry is a possibility? Are you already a seasoned industry professional looking to increase your current knowledge and therefore your career expectations?
If so the following information may be a useful offering as an insight into the UK’s present automotive industry.
Using sources from the industry body the SMMT – (Society of Motor Industry Manufacturers and Traders) we have collated statistics offering a positive viewpoint on the automotive industry’s performance and evolvement.
The following are facts which we feel highlight an excellent future for a career within the Automotive Industry:
· The UK automotive industry invests heavily in training and up-skilling, employing over 737,000 people and thousands more apprentices.
· The automotive industry is the UK’s largest sector in terms of exports by value and generated £27 billion of revenue for the UK in 2011.
· UK automotive is a vital part of the UK economy and typically generates more than £55 billion in annual turnover.
· At £20 billion per year, the automotive sector is Europe’s largest investor in R&D, driving industry forward and helping to deliver more sustainable motoring for the 21st century.
· Of all UK suppliers, more than 70% manufacturer their products in the UK.
· New investment pledged by global vehicle manufacturers during the last two years has created more than 19,000 new jobs in facilities and in the supply chain, safeguarding thousands more.
· Apprenticeship starts in UK engineering and advanced manufacturing industries have increased by more than 85% in the past two years.
· There are approximately 18,000 apprentices working in automotive retail at any one time.
· New engineering and technology graduates have a starting salary of more than 10% higher than other new UK graduates.
SMMT are continually working with government and relevant stakeholders, to ensure that the wide range of opportunities and careers in the automotive industry are widely understood. They will continue communicating and engaging with skills providers, funding agencies and government, to ensure that the long-term sustainability of the automotive sector is in safe hands.
Click through to download the SMMT fact sheet on skills, apprentices and employment in UK automotive.
Where can I find out more about careers in UK automotive?
- Automotive Council – http://www.automotivecouncil.co.uk/join-the-industry/careers/
- Semta – http://www.semta.org.uk/careers
- IMI – http://www.motor.org.uk/
- The MIA – http://www.the-mia.com/Motorsports-Careers
- BEN Autojobs – http://www.ben.org.uk/autojobs
For more information on jobs within the Automotive Aftermarket sector please contact the Glen Callum Associates Automotive consultants on 01384 485274or email firstname.lastname@example.org