10 simple but effective rules for interview Preparation!
- Research the company/organisation.
- Research the role and match it to your CV.
- Check out the location, your journey time, parking facilities etc
- Ensure you are able to talk through your CV.
- Think about the questions that may be asked about your CV and practice your answers.
- Ensure you have brag answers ready to usual interview questions and be able to demonstrate “real life” or “work” scenarios to highlight your achievements.
- Ensure you have plenty of questions ready to ask during and at the end of your interview.
- Ask about the next stage and show your enthusiasm!
- Ascertain if the interviewer has any concerns about why you wouldn’t be a perfect fit for the role – and then highlight positives about yourself to allay any doubts.
- Ensure you read any preparation notes sent to you by the interviewer and CARRY THEM OUT!
As a seasoned interviewer I sometimes see candidates with excellent attributes fail due to lack of simple preparation. In today’s world of competition it is quite often the candidate who shows the most enthusiasm for the role who ensures they have the edge over their fellow interviewees. Don’t use the “wing it” method; albeit you may have been lucky in the past an employer wants to see a candidate who has ‘made the effort’ during the interview process, potentially they will be the candidate most likely to ‘make the effort’ during their working day!
If you consider the interview process as you would a sales process then the military adage of the 7 P’s is essential!
Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents P*ss Poor Performance!!!!!
Glen Callum Associates are a leading automotive, engineering and industrial recruitment agency for manufacturing and technical positions. Our consultants have valuable senior sales, marketing and operational experience within organisations within the automotive and industrial industry, allowing us to share an empathy with both client and candidate alike.
Remember Glen Callum can help you with your interview preparation, call us today! 01384 485274.